• Saniyya Sidney is a noted child star with limited filmography but a strong reputation
• She was born in 2006 in Los Angeles, California, USA and belongs to Afro-American ethnicity
• She is best known for her roles in films such as “Fences”, “Hidden Figures”, and “Fast Color”
• She has been nominated for various awards and won the Young Artist Award and Young Entertainer Award for her performance in “Fences”
• She is currently 13-year-old and has a net worth of approximately $1 million
Saniyya Sidney is a noted child star, but although her filmography is limited, her reputation is quite strong. Sidney’s acting skills have captured the hearts of many people. Let’s discuss in detail who exactly Saniyya Sidney is:-
Early Life, Family and Education
Saniyya Sidney was born on 30 October 2006, in Los Angeles, California, USA, to mother Malik Sidney, an American film producer. Saniyya regards her mother as a major source of inspiration. She also has two siblings named Cameron Sidney and Tremaine Michelle – no information is available about her father.
Regarding Sidney’s education, she is currently home-schooled, balancing her education with her acting appearances. Saniyya has American nationality and belongs to Afro-American ethnicity. Her birth sign is Scorpio.
At the age of six in 2012 Saniyya Sidney begun her acting journey, debuting in “The Babysitters” as Amity. In 2016 she guest-starred in the TV series “Roots” in the role of Kizzy Waller, and in the same year, she was cast in the hit series “American Horror Story: Roanoke”. After which she played the role of Raynell Maxson in the four-time Oscar-nominated movie “Fences”.
In an interview regarding “Fences”, Saniyya stated that ‘It was really awesome to me to be able to audition for something that had once been on Broadway and probably will be again.(BriefTalk)’ Next, she appeared in another Oscar-nominated film “Hidden Figures” as Constance Johnson; these two films skyrocketed her career, as she received a lot of praise for her superb acting skills. In 2018 Saniyya appeared in the movie “Fast Color” as Lil, which premiered at the South by Southwest Festival on 10 March 2018, after which the movie was released into theatres as well.
In January 2019 Sidney was cast as a female lead in a vampire-themed TV series “The Passage”, playing the role of Amy Bellafonte. Her performance was acknowledged as brilliant, and she received a lot of positive response. However, the same can’t be said about the series, as after a single season it was taken off the air. Also in 2019 she appeared in “Kevin Hart’s Guide to Black History” as Riley, and currently Sidney is busy filming an autobiographical drama entitled “King Richard”. She will play the role of Richard William’s daughter, tennis player Venus Williams, sister of Serena, scheduled for release late in 2020.
Awards and Nominations
In 2016 Saniyya Sidney was jointly nominated for ACCA’s Best Cast Ensemble Award. A year later she was nominated for the Golden Derby award, and in 2017 another joint nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture for “Fences”. Importantly she won the Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a TV Series and Young Entertainer Award for Best Supporting Young Actress for her remarkable performance in “Fences”.
Association with other famous people
At a very young age, Sidney worked with various famous actors and directors. During the filming of “Roots”, she met Mario Van Peeples. They instantly hit it off and established a good relationship with each other. For her next project, Saniyya visited Atlanta, where she worked with Kevin Costner among others. Sidney then received a major opportunity in the form of a casting call from Denzel Washington, appearing in “Fences” as his daughter, along with Viola Davis.
In an interview, Sidney was questioned regarding her work experience with Denzel and Viola Davis, to which she responded that ‘A dream come true. They work so hard at finding the truth in every moment. Telling a great and important story is very important to them. They inspired me to always seek to become a better actor. (BSCKIDS)’
Saniyya is currently 13-year-old. She is 5ft 2ins (1.57m) tall, and weighs around 95lbs (43 kgs). Her hair and eye colour are Dark Brown. Sidney’s current body statistics are 28-22-29. Her shoe size is 4.
Hobbies/ Interesting Facts about Saniyya Sidney
Here are some hobbies/interesting facts about Saniyya Sidney:
- She is a major fan of Leonardo DiCaprio. She also likes Johnny Depp and Jennifer Lawrence.
- There are two pet dogs in Sidney’s house, called Leo and Biscuit.
- In 2019 Saniyya joined the management company Creative Artist Agency.
- In August 2019 she appeared on the Ouch Magazine’s cover.
- Saniyya loves eating ice cream, horse riding, travelling, makeup, hairstyling, and spending quality time with her family.
- Rome is her favorite place to visit.
- Saniyya’s favorite dessert is Italian desserts.
- Michael B. Jordan is her celebrity crush.
- Sidney’s role models are her mother and Viola Davis.
- She is a Christian.
- Her favorite color is pink.
- Saniyya’s birthday comes on Halloween Eve.
- She follows a vegan diet and also likes playing tennis.
- Saniyya is a major animal lover and supports various animal shelters.
- She did not know who Mark-Paul Gosselaar was ‘til they worked together in “The Passage”.
- Every day Sidney begins her morning with the motto ‘I am a star and a beautiful young lady.’
As of early 2020, Saniyya Sidney has a net worth of approximately $1 million.
Social Media Presence
Saniya Sidney is available on various social media platforms, including Twitter and Instagram, on which she posts regular updates regarding her everyday life and shows/movies. She is also available on Facebook.