• Andrea Elson is a former teen actress, best known for her role as Lynn Tanner in the 80s TV comedy series “ALF.”
• She was raised in New York City and San Diego, California and discovered her love for acting when she was chosen to play the lead role in a school play, “Alice in Wonderland.”
• She was part of many TV and movie projects, including the popular series “ALF”, “Who’s the Boss”, “Married with Children”, and “Mad about You.”
• She is currently a professional yoga instructor and owns two yoga studios, Grass Valley Yoga and Yoga Village.
• She has an estimated net worth of over $1 million.
Andrea Elson is a professional yoga instructor and a former teen actress, whose ticket to fame was her role as Lynn Tanner in the popular TV comedy series in the 80s, “ALF.”
Early life and family
Andrea Hope Elson was born on 6 March 1969, in New York City, USA, so her zodiac sign is Pisces and Aquamarine is her birth stone. She and her sister, Samantha, were mostly raised in Westchester, New York, by their parents, Stephen and Elinor, but they moved around to several cities due to her father’s job in advertising, including spending around four years in San Diego, California when they were growing up.
View this post on Instagram
Happy birthday Andrea!!! @yogavillage_ag Thank you for being an amazing actress and making a ton of us fans smile. I hope you have a great day! Ps- I’ve started doing yoga daily and I’ve found that it relaxes me a lot. My back still is hard to bend just because I had to wear a back brace for three years but I’m getting down a few things. So some of you guys on here follow my personal account which is where I posted this on in the first place but in honor of her birthday I decided to post this look a like on this page. I know the photo I re created is not from Whiz Kids. I have an outfit that looks identical to one she wore in Whiz Kids but it is a summer outfit and it’s cold here in Maryland where I live so I wasn’t able to wear it yet. I’m also trying to grow out my perm too. #whizkids #lookalike #andreaelson #happybirthday #andreahopper #alf #birthday #yoga
She discovered her love for performing when she was chosen to play the lead role in a school play, “Alice in Wonderland.”
Andrea started very young as a model and actress; she appeared in quite a number of TV commercials and print ads before she ventured into acting. During her family’s stay in California when growing up, she acted in locally produced stage plays in the community where they lived. Her parents eventually decided to move permanently to Los Angeles. With an agent, she was able to professionally get more modeling contracts for commercials, and finally to land an acting role in the TV series, “Simon & Simon,” at the age of 12.
A guest appearance on another TV show, “Silver Spoons,” happened the following year.
At age 14, she was offered a role in “Whiz Kids,” an American sci-fi adventure TV show. She played Alice Tyler, who solved mysteries with her friends along with the main protagonist played by Matthew Charles Labyorteaux. It aired on CBS for a season from 1983 to 1984, and while it only lasted for 18 episodes, viewers noticed Andrea, and she started to gain a following that led her to be featured on the covers of popular teen magazines in the ‘80s such as Bop, Teen Beat, and 16 Magazine.
A couple of years after the cancellation of “Whiz Kids,” Andrea auditioned for a role in another American sci-fi comedy TV series, “ALF,” which stands for Alien Life Form. She won the role of Lyn Tanner, the daughter of a middle-class family who adopted an alien they called “ALF.” – the series revolved around hiding the alien from the community and the government. The show aired at NBC network, and this time Andrea was part of a TV series which ran from 1987 up to 1990, for four seasons with 102 episodes. Unfortunately for the avid fans of the show, the last episode shown had a cliffhanger, but the network still decided to cut the series short.
The popularity that she gained from being part of “ALF” led to many roles in both television and movies. She was subsequently part of more than a dozen projects, but the most notable were “Who’s the Boss” with Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano in 1990, “Married with Children” with Ed O’Neill and Christina Applegate in 1993, and “Mad about You” with Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt in 1994.
After not appearing on television for a year, Andrea re-appeared in “Step By Step” with Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Sommers in 1996, but for the next two years Andrea went into hibernation again, and people thought that she would never be seen on TV again. However, she was then seen in one of the longest-running daytime shows on TV, “The Young and the Restless,” for a two-day guest appearance in 1998, but after that she finally bid goodbye to her acting career at the age of 29.
As a Yoga Studio Owner
Andrea started teaching yoga classes in 2009, after she gained her Yoga Teacher Training certification from Judith Hanson Lasater of The Yoga Tree in San Francisco, and a year later she established her own yoga studio, Grass Valley Yoga. She kept on studying this spiritual discipline by acquiring more teaching training certifications from the Foundations of Svaroopa Yoga and The Yoga Shack.
In 2016, she sold her business when her family decided to move to the Central Coast, but eventually launched another yoga studio named Yoga Village. Aside from offering her services as an instructor, she also provides Yoga Alliance Teacher Trainings for those who are interested in teaching and yoga retreats around the world.
Andrea married Scott Hopper in 1993; she met him on the set of the TV series, “ALF.” He was a production assistant back then and was assigned to deliver her scripts. During an interview, she said she was immediately smitten with Scott. She became pregnant in 1997 with their eldest, Claire, and that was the primary reason for her TV disappearance for a couple of years. Just shy of six weeks after giving birth, she went back on TV in “The Young & the Restless” with a breast pump and a nanny on the set, to help in caring for the baby. She then realized that she needed to step away from the limelight and focus on motherhood. She and her husband are currently living in Arroyo Grande, California with their two children.
- During the second season of “ALF,” Andrea developed Bulimia, an emotional disorder wherein she would overeat and then follow with self-induced vomiting – she was depressed about her developing body, as she wanted to remain slim. No one had an idea about her problem as she was always perky and happy in the set. Even after the show ended, she was obsessed with keeping herself thin by spending several hours in the gym every day. It was her husband who confronted her and eventually even without professional help, she was able to overcome it when she became pregnant. She now focuses on being healthy instead of just wanting to be thin.
- The mood on the set of the TV series, “ALF,” was always tense, as the actors were exhausted whenever they were filming scenes with the puppet. It was too tiring for most of them, as they were filming for about 25 hours just for a 30 minute show. The actors were so professional about it that no one outside the set knew about the tension, or how messed up the set was during that time.
She received a nomination for Exceptional Young Actress in a New Television Comedy Series in 1986 from the Young Artist Award (Formerly called Youth in Film Award) for her role as Lynn Tanner in “ALF.” In 1989, she received another nomination from the same award-giving body for the same role in the category of Best Young Actress in a Television Comedy Series.
As a yoga instructor, she keeps her body in tiptop shape. She measures 5ft 7ins (1.73m) tall and weighs around 123lbs (56kgs). She is Caucasian, with brown hair and green eyes.
As of early 2020, sources estimated her net worth at over $1 million, acquitted mostly from her acting career and her yoga business.