Emma Vigeland is an American journalist and online news content producer, who is best known as one of The Young Turks (TYT) Network political correspondents.
Early life and family
Emma was born on 18 April 1994, in Glen Ridge, New Jersey, USA. Both her paternal and maternal grandparents emigrated from Europe, her father’s parents from Norway to New Jersey, and her mother’s parents came from Finland. She was raised along with a younger sister in a middle class household. She loved watching movie musicals growing up, including “The Sound of Music” and “Mary Poppins.” Later on, the family moved to New York, but little else is known about them.
She attended Kent Place School, located in Summit, New Jersey, an exclusive school for day girls, with a reputation of providing superior education as a college preparatory institution. She received the distinction of being one of the AP Scholars when she matriculated in 2012. Later, she graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Government and Law from Lafayette College in 2016, and earned honors for her thesis on Campaign Finance Reform. She was consistently named in the Dean’s List all through college.
Emma has always been a go-getter and believes in spending her summers in learning and earning more, instead of going to parties like most regular teenagers.
While still in high school, she already volunteered to be an Intern in the Constituent Services Department at Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand’s office during the summer of 2011. The next summer after enrolling in college, she started working at Mierop Design, a landscape designing firm in Montclaire, New Jersey as an Office Assistant. In the summer of 2013, Emma was seen working as a Sales Associate at the Super Scoop Restaurant in Glen Ridge. By the summer of 2014, she worked as a legal intern at the Morvillo LLP, an appeals law firm in New York. The last summer job she did before she graduated was as a legal intern, again at the Legal Affairs Department at Hunter College, a public college in New York City.
After college, the self-confessed political junkie applied for a job with The Young Turks (TYT), the biggest American progressive online news and talk network, available for streaming on YouTube in 2016. She was inspired by her GOAT (Greatest of All Time) Cenk Uygur, the founder of TYT, who according to Emma provided the most honest US presidential coverage in 2016. She started as an intern with the network that shares her liberal/left wing political views.
After proving her worth to the network during her internship, she was promoted to political news correspondent.
Later on, she became one of the channel’s content producers, and became the primary host of Rebel HQ network channel, which was previously known as TYT Politics on YouTube. She became known for her in-depth exposure of political conservative hypocrisy, and continued coverage of American progressive movements in various parts of the country. Emma particularly gained career momentum after she interviewed and accompanied rising political star Alexandria Ocasio-Cortex for a day back in 2018, when AOC was gunning for a seat to represent the 14th district of New York. Rep.
Ocasio-Cortez was the most talked about politician after Donald Trump back then, after toppling the incumbent democrat congressman Joe Crowley who previously served for 10 terms.
Emma’s strong views and opinions as a left leaning liberal has led her to become one of the rising faces of millennial progressive political news reporting.
When it comes to her political convictions, Emma is open and loud, but in her personal life, she is as quiet as a church mouse. She does not share anything personal with the public through her social media accounts, except for the rare photos with her mother and father.
She is currently single and childless, and there is no news about her being married, engaged, or going through any pregnancy or adoption process. No one knows if she is dating anyone right now, as she would only post watching ballgames with her constant date, her father, whom she referred to as her dad and “friendboy.” However, there is one boyfriend appreciation post that she shared on her Instagram account when she had a vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, but only posted the breakfast her unnamed boyfriend made for her.
Hobbies, favorite things and interesting facts
- In college, she wasn’t only an academic achiever, but also an active and proud member of several social and political affiliations, including Pi Sigma Alpha, a political honor society; Kappa Kappa Gamma Chairperson of the Zeta Beta Chapter in 2013; and was one of the directors in the Civic Management of Panhellenic Council.
- All through college she was a literacy leader volunteer in a non-profit organization, “Reading is Fundamental,” which advocates the uplifting of children’s literacy in America.
- Emma is a self-proclaimed “Miserable NY Sports Fan”, as can be seen in her bio description in her official Twitter account. She loves New York sports teams including the Knicks and Rangers, but is a die-hard fan of the Giants.
- She believed that she would have been a National Football League Analyst in another life, as she would love to dissect each game, thoroughly discuss the pros and cons of each member of the NY Giants, as well as the strong points and weaknesses of the coaching staff. In one of the Q & A videos she posted on YouTube, she genuinely feels that Eli Manning, the NY Giants quarterback, should have retired three years ago.
- Her mother thought she was outing as a gay person very early on, when she sheared off her long locks, making her hair really short, and would only wear Shaq O’Neal’s basketball jersey in fourth grade. Apparently, it was just a phase.
- A dedicated fan of HBO’s weekly TV series, “Games of Thrones,” and allied with Queen Daenerys of the House of Targaryen.
- Her favorite athlete is Odell Beckham Jr., but she is also an admirer of Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Russell Westbrook.
- Aside from having family musicals as her favorite movies while growing up, she is also a fan of “Pulp Fiction” and “Dark Knight”, which are from both ends of the movie genre spectrum.
She is 5ft 6ins (1.67m) tall, weighs 128lbs (58kgs), and has a slim fit body. She has dark brown hair and dark brown eyes.
Her net worth as of July 2020 is estimated at over $500,000 according to authoritative sources, as she had worked in several shows on TYT Network since the time she was hired in 2016, and is still working in some of them as news correspondent, content producer, and co-host.